Clapham: Three people injured after ‘shotgun’ fired in south London


Three people have been injured after shots were fired by a moped rider being chased by police in south London.

Two people suffered shotgun pellet injuries and a third was injured by the moped, but none are believed to be in a life-threatening condition, the Metropolitan Police said.

Officers were pursuing the moped after it failed to stop in the Clapham area just before 5pm on Friday, the force said.

A firearm, believed to be a shotgun, was discharged from the moped near Clapham Common South Side.

The suspects then fled the scene and officers are trying to trace the moped. No arrests have been made.

The London Ambulance Service said its crews were called to reports of a shooting incident in Clapham Common South Side at around 5pm on Friday.

Ambulance crews, operational managers, advanced paramedics and London’s air ambulance attended.

In a statement, the service said: “We treated three people at the scene and took two to a London major trauma centre and one to hospital.”

The Met said in a statement on its website: “At 16:55hrs on Friday, 1 March police were in pursuit of a moped that had failed to stop in the Clapham area.

“A firearm, believed to be a shotgun, was discharged from the moped in the vicinity of Clapham Common South Side.

“Two people sustained shotgun pellet injuries. A third person was injured by the moped.

“While we await formal assessments, at this stage we don’t believe any of those injured to be in a life-threatening condition.

“A crime scene is in place and urgent enquiries to trace the moped are ongoing. There have been no arrests at this stage.

“Firearms officers are searching the area.”

Several roads in the area have been cordoned off.

A local barber, who gave his name as Kaka, said he was left “shocked” after hearing shooting close to his shop, Chop Barbers, near Clapham Common.

The man said: “I was in the shop just before 5pm and I heard a gunshot up the road. We were all shocked because it was so close, the police were everywhere afterwards.”



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button